Swimming Pool Barriers

Swimming Pools

Planning a pool? State law and local zoning codes require barriers for new and renovated swimming pools. ARS §36-1681 “Pool enclosures; requirements; exceptions; enforcement” provides the details.  The Arizona Department of Health Services’ Office of Environmental Health has an overview of this state law at http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oeh/pool_rules.htm

Check your city’s webpage or call their planning/development department for details on local regulations.  For example, in Phoenix, you can read the Pool Barrier Requirements brochure and see the application process on their pool barriers’ webpage (http://phoenix.gov/pdd/topics/poolbarriers.html ).  The city of Mesa has a pool and spa brochure with barrier requirements.

For the actual wording of your city’s ordinances and code, look for links on the city’s page to the city code and ordinances or call the city clerk.  Other city codes for Arizona can be found at municode.com.  Links to Arizona’s city websites are at http://az.gov/government_city_a-d.html .


Meals and Breaks for Private Sector Employees

The federal government’s Labor Department not only provides information about the federal laws, they also give information about states’ laws on meals and breaks:

The U.S. Labor Department shows which states’ laws require breaks for private sector employees (called “minimum paid rest periods”) in this table (as of January 1, 2013).

The U.S. Labor Department also shows which states’ laws require a minimum length for private sector employees’ meals in this table (as of January 1, 2013).

More state labor law information is available from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wages and Hour Division links.


“A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.” (from the USPTO’s Trademark Copyright or Patent page).

Businesses can register trade names with the Arizona Office of the Secretary of State.

Guidelines, the registered trade name database and related information are on the Secretary of State’s Trade Names and Trademarks webpage.

State Laws on Trademarks and Tradenames can be found in ARS §§ 44-1441 and on .

The US Patent and Trademarks Office website has information about searching for federal trademarks and filing applications for service and trademarks.