We often hear about some interesting inventions here at the State Library’s Patent and Trademark Resource Center, but every now and then we are reminded that something we take for granted like voting machines indeed have to be invented and can be the subject of patents. For more voting related patents, check out the latest issue of the Inventor’s Eye, from the USPTO.
Join us November 9th at the Phoenix Public Library’s Hive for Startup Law Talk!
This workshop is for entrepreneurs who are thinking about forming a start-up, or have recently started a business, and want greater insight on how to avoid the typical legal problems encountered by new businesses. Three professionals will discuss the most important legal issues to consider in the early stages of your business. They will provide information on types of business formation, methods to protect your intellectual property, and how to avoid tax surprises.
- PetSmart General Counsel (retired) Kevin Groman
- Intellectual Property Attorney Frank Long of Dickinson Wright
- Lisa Novack, Senior Stakeholder Liaison, Small Business/Self Employed Division of the Internal Revenue Service
Panel Presentation: 6:00 PM
Resource Tables: 7:00 to 7:30 PM
Resource Tables will include:
- IRS (Internal Revenue Service)
- Patent & Trademark Resource Center
- City of Phoenix Economic, Planning & Development Office (for licensing and permits)
- Handouts (Business Startup Checklist from ACA)
Please register at: https://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/hive/programs/business-law-series
Did you miss our program on Zoom Thinking? Check it out on YouTube!
Thanks again to presenter Jon Ward!
For more State Library of Arizona videos, check out our YouTube Channel:
And our Vimeo presence: https://vimeo.com/statelibaz
October is Cyber Security Awareness Month! Hear from City of Phoenix experts about the security and privacy challenges facing small and medium businesses as well as individuals.
Tuesday, October 25th, Begins at noon.
Hosted at the Burton Barr Public Library:
1221 N. Central Avenue
For a printable flyer, click the image.
This is an outside event; please follow links above for more information.
July 26, 2016 – Westlaw Basics
Are you new to legal research? Want to learn to use one of the most common legal research databases?
Join us to learn how to use Westlaw. Presented by Kay Engler, Esq. Westlaw Government Account Manager.
- Research and retrieve case law and statutes
- Find annotations for statutes
- Find out if a case or law has been changed or overruled
Date: Tuesday July 26, 2016
Time: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Location: State Library of Arizona, Con Cronin Commons
To register: http://www.azlibrary.gov/events/1683